Thursday, April 26, 2012

10 Weeks Old

May 2nd - Opthomology came and did their exam this morning and the Doctor says she's developing ROP, she wants to examine her again next week and if she continues to get worse she will need surgery, which means our trip home just got post poned.
May 1st - They brought in the transport specialist, still may get to go home. Surgery didn't say one way or the other if they would let her go. She has an eye exam again tomorrow hope that goes well. Got to do lots of holding and so far still no new roommate which is nice. She weighed 4 lbs 4.6 oz. tonight. She is up to 9 mls per hour and 24 calories per ounce, they want her up to 11 mls per hour before they will let her go home, but at least she'll be off the TPN would be nice to just be getting her bigger and getting her off the ventilator.
April 30th - Still hinting we might get sent back to Great Falls. I'm ready to go back, but am not sure Ava is quite ready, her stoma/ostomy and fistula both are prolapsed and I don't know if the nurses know how to care for her as well while she is this way. The fact they are prolapsed and so close together makes it interesting to say the least to put a colostomy bag on her that will stay as the fistula usually leaks fluid under the adhesive which then loosens the bag. I'm confident they can help her to develop her lungs and keep her growing. She will be at full feeds on thurs, she is up to 8 mls plus fortified to 24 calories per ounce. Wednesday she has another eye exam, and may get a bronchial inspection as they up sized her tube. All the nurses are like ya! they finally upsized the tube as the leak could not be minimized with positioning even if she would have stayed in the position they put her in. The air leak is now minimized and she is doing better with fewer destats and is able to bring herself back up most of the time.
April 29th - Ava has had her vent tube up sized from a 3 to 3.5. Now we know its not the leak that's causing her to drop her stats, now to figure out the little mystery girl so we can get her of the tube and closer to not needing help breathing. Today Ava and her roommate each had their own nurses since they both were on transport duty, not that they got to go out on transport. She is up to 8mls per hour, and they are hinting we might get transported home to grow just haven't given us a definite time, but maybe in the next week or 2.

She weighed 4 lbs and was 15.5 inches long.
April 28th - Had our primary nurse today, and got the news that we might be able to go back to Great Falls and continue to grow and get stronger at home. This is all dependent on getting to full feeds (11 mls per hour), she's at 7 mls per hour right now, surgery deciding she is ok to go and wait on surgery till she's bigger, and what pulmonary decides as well they have been brought on board to help her develop her lungs. Since she is still on steroids and doing well as they wean the doctor is also weaning her vent settings, which she is tolerating really well, they have gone down on her pressure support and rate and she has had good blood gases as well and not needed extra oxygen support even with the large air leak around the tube.
April 27th - Ava is now up to 6 mls per hour. She loves to be held.

Looking Spiffy in Her purple outfit Big brother Blake picked out for her.

April 26th - Ava is 10 weeks old today, or 36 weeks and 2 days gestation. She is still in her big girl crib. We keep bugging the doc's to send us home to grow there since surgery is not to excited to do the reconnection surgery yet and are now leaning towards waiting the 6 months.  She is up to 3lbs 15.5 oz.  and looks so cute in the little outfit Zane picked out. Tomorrow she'll get to wear Blake's I hope, if i can convince the nurses. She is up to 1/2 feeds at 5mls per hour and they are adding a extra nutrients to her milk.

1 comment:

  1. Love these postings, Glenda...I cannot imagine what you are going through and little Ava thoughts and prayers are with you daily! The boys chose a great color for her hair a little reddish?